The Red Monastery is situated in mountains close to the village of the same name. It was inhabited by Cartesian and Camaldulsian monks in two phases. Between 1320 - 1563 it was a Cartesian monastery (founded by St. Bruno in 1084).The very first Cartesian monastery in Slovakia was built at Kláštorisko in the Slovak Paradise (close to the Letanovce village) in 1305. Later in 1320, when the Cartesian monks gained the village Lechnica (in Pieniny mountains), they started to build up the second monastery - the Red Monastery. The name "Red" it gained according to its red roof.
Both monasteries were built deep in nature, because monks needed a calm place in order to practise meditations and ascetic way of life. Monks devoted a lot of time to writing copies of books by hand. After certain time they were awarded some privileges from Ungarian and Polish monarchs, such as the right to catch fishes in the Dunajec river, the right to use a water mill, to make beer etc.  more and  more