Enhances advertising, editorial, film, video, TV, Websites, and mobile experiences.
St James Cathedral or "St Jakob Church"
Based on designs by the Baroque architect Johann Jakob Herkommer, this church was rebuilt between 1717 and 1724 on the site of an earlier Gothic church. It is roofed with domes and has a lavish baroque interior, part of which was executed by the Asam brothers. One of its chief treasurers is a precious Madonna and Child on the main altar, painted by German master Lucas Cranach the Elder. The elaborate Innsbruck carillon sounds for peace. In the north aisle, look for a 1620 monument honoring Archduke Maximilian III, who died in 1618. The most recent renovation works date from the years 1992 and 1993.