Modern Holy Transfiguration Cathedral is very different from its original appearance.
The construction of the first church on the site was begun in 1886 on the site of an ancient temple. And in 1896, the church organized a fraternal brotherhood school in Donetsk (at the time, Yuzivka). In December 1930, the cathedral has lost the bell, and then the bell tower collapsed. A year later, the government decided to blow it up, ostensibly for the production of building materials.
Only in 1992 the city authorities decided to take land for the construction of the cathedral. For example, in 2006 there was the temple that we see now.