N
N
Projections and Nav Modes
  • Normal View
  • Fisheye View
  • Architectural View
  • Stereographic View
  • Little Planet View
  • Panini View
Click and Drag / QTVR mode
Share this panorama
For Non-Commercial Use Only
This panorama can be embedded into a non-commercial site at no charge. Read more
Do you agree to the Terms & Conditions?
For commercial use, contact us
Embed this Panorama
WidthHeight
For Non-Commercial Use Only
For commercial use, contact us
License this Panorama

Enhances advertising, editorial, film, video, TV, Websites, and mobile experiences.

LICENSE MODAL

0 Likes

Trinity Churchyard
Narragansett Bay

Trinity Churchyard in Newport, RI

Trinity Church is the oldest Episcopal parish in Rhode Island. The Newport, Rhode Island congregation began to gather about 1698. When Richard Coote, 1st Earl of Bellomont was investigating charges of the infractions of the Navigation Acts in Rhode Island, he requested that the Board of Trade send a minster from England to Rhode Island. The first church was built in 1700. The present church built in 1725-26, was designed by local builder Richard Munday, who based his designs on those that he had seen that Sir Christopher Wren had used in London churches in the late 17th century and Boston's Old North Church. Trinity, however, was built entirely of wood. It is believed to be the only church building with its three-tiered wineglass pulpit reamaining in its original position in the center of the aisle, in front of the altar. The building was enlarged in 1764, but otherwise retains its original character with box pews.


In 1731, Dean George Berkeley donated the first organ, whose wooden case, decorated with the crown of England the the mitres of the archbishops of Canterbury and York, survives in place. The first organist was Karl or Charles Pachelbel, a son of the famous German baroque composer Johann Pachelbel.

The church was used as a garrison church by the British Army in 1776-1778. Local oral tradition reports that George Washington attended services there in 1781. The French Admiral, the Chevalier de Ternay who died in December 1780, is buried in the churchyard.

National Historic Register #68000004 (1968)

View More »

Copyright: Christopher Blake
Type: Spherical
Resolution: 14640x7320
Taken: 05/05/2010
Uploaded: 10/05/2010
Updated: 04/03/2015
Views:

...


Tags: church; newport; green; square; harbor; coastal; spring; outdoors; ri
comments powered by Disqus
More About Narragansett Bay

Narragansett Bay dominates the geography of the tiny state of Rhode Island, extending 25 miles northwards and inland from the Atlantic Ocean right into the heart of its major cities.  It is fed by the watersheds of 3 major rivers: the Blackstone, the Taunton and the Pawtuxet.  Narragansett Bay defines the region's culture, its history, sense of place and quality of life.  The cities of Providence, Newport, Fall River, Warwick and Newport all owe their start to the bay and the opportunities it provided for water power, commercial growth and transportation.  Once badly polluted, the Narragansett Bay has made a tremendous comeback in the last 3 decades as communities all around the bay have revitalized their connection to the bay and taken steps to curb human impact.  Aerial Vr plans a series of panoramas intended to capture the area's unique natural beauty, both from its surface and from the air as well as the vitality and uniqueness of its communities.