0 Likes

Spaso-Prilutsky monastery, sunset

http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A1%D0%BF%D0%B0%D1%81%D0%BE-%D0%9F%D1%80%D0%B8%D0%BB%D1%83%D1%86%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%B9_%D0%BC%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%82%D1%8B%D1%80%D1%8C

Спасо-Прилуцкий монастырь - православный монастырь, основанный в 1371 году в излучине реки Вологды учеником Сергия Радонежского святым Димитрием Прилуцким. Один из самых древних и больших монастырей Русского Севера. Был закрыт Советской властью в 1926 году, в 1930-е годы использовался как пересыльная тюрьма. В 1992 году полностью возвращён церкви, с тех пор - вновь действующий мужской монастырь[1]. В 1993 году в составе села Прилуки вошёл в черту города Вологды.

Является комплексом памятников архитектуры XVI-XVIII веков[2], среди которых пятиглавый Спасский собор (1537-1542 годы) и Успенская церковь, перенесённая из Александро-Куштского монастыря - древнейшая сохранившаяся деревянная шатровая церковь в России (1-я четверть XVI века). В монастыре покоятся мощи его основателя святого Димитрия Прилуцкого, из Спасского собора происходит шедевр русской иконописи - житийная икона Димитрия Прилуцкого работы Дионисия.

View More »

Copyright: Dmitry O Belov
Type: Spherical
Resolution: 22832x11416
Taken: 31/05/2011
Uploaded: 05/05/2011
Updated: 10/03/2015
Views:

...


Tags: 2011; sunset; monastery; buildings
comments powered by Disqus
More About

Vologda was first mentioned in Novgorod chronicles for 1147, when Saint Gerasimus found a church and village already standing there. Surrounded by impassable woods, the settlement was inhabited by Novgorodians who pulled the ships from a tributary of theVolga to a tributary of the Northern Dvina, thus making possible navigation from the White Sea to the Caspian. In 1273 the city was ravaged by a Mongol raid. It was not until 1412, when the area was ceded by Novgorod Republic to Muscovy, that the town acquired any measure of importance. The princes of Muscovy made Vologda their outpost in the North. By the end of the century, Vologda eclipsed the ancient centre of that region, Belozersk. Its commercial importance further increased when the Muscovy Company started its operations in Russia.