0 Likes

Vologda

Vologda - the cultural center of Russian North. Situated between Moscow and St. Petersburg. Vologda was founded in 1147. On  that square you can see Sofia and Voskresensky cathedrals, Alexander Nevsky's church and Vologda's bell tower.

Copyright: Shusharin-eda
Type: Spherical
Resolution: 6000x3000
Uploaded: 04/05/2009
Updated: 18/02/2012
Views:

...


Tags: vologda
comments powered by Disqus

Aleksy Kirilovskiy
Kremlin Square
Alexey Yuzhakov
Kremlin area
Alexey Yuzhakov
Kremlin, near monument KN Batyushkov
Dmitry Plavkov
Kremlin Square. Vologda
dmitry-o-belov
r.Vologda. Spring tide.
Shusharin-EDA
Vologda Kremlin
Алексей Попов
Vologda Kremlin 2
Alexey Yuzhakov
Vologda State Pedagogical University
Dmitry Levin
Chapel in the honor of Nativity of Christ
Dmitry Levin
Bridge of lovers
dmitry-o-belov
Maslenitsa hill
parusnik parusnik
горка вологда
rosspisvena
FISAA 2011
Evgeny Efimov
Night view from the Singapore Flyer, Singapore
Willy Kaemena
Arequipa Plaza Armas
Willy Kaemena
Lima Larcomar
Luciano Correa | Vista Panoramica
Praia da Ilha Prumirim em Ubatuba SP Brasil
NT360 Sanal Tur
Kutahya cinili cami ic
John Willetts ARPS
Trebarwith Strand, Cornwall
Valentin Arfire
steam locomotive view
Alexander Peskov
Зима в Северном Бутово. 3 января 2011
Seungsang Yoo(유승상)
Peru Salineras
Andrei Zdetoveţchi
Hunting for the Perseids 2010
Jan Koehn
Surubi Pass
Shusharin-EDA
Vologda - The monument to 800-years of Vologda
Shusharin-EDA
Vologda
Shusharin-EDA
Kyrovsky skver
Shusharin-EDA
Вологда площадь Петра Ильича Чайковского
Shusharin-EDA
Pokrovskoe Park
Shusharin-EDA
Vologda Red Bridge
Shusharin-EDA
Babushkina
Shusharin-EDA
Круглый дворик
Shusharin-EDA
shavchugov's village
Shusharin-EDA
Vologda - Rodina
Shusharin-EDA
Revolution square
Shusharin-EDA
Krugly dvor 2
More About

Vologda was first mentioned in Novgorod chronicles for 1147, when Saint Gerasimus found a church and village already standing there. Surrounded by impassable woods, the settlement was inhabited by Novgorodians who pulled the ships from a tributary of theVolga to a tributary of the Northern Dvina, thus making possible navigation from the White Sea to the Caspian. In 1273 the city was ravaged by a Mongol raid. It was not until 1412, when the area was ceded by Novgorod Republic to Muscovy, that the town acquired any measure of importance. The princes of Muscovy made Vologda their outpost in the North. By the end of the century, Vologda eclipsed the ancient centre of that region, Belozersk. Its commercial importance further increased when the Muscovy Company started its operations in Russia.