0 Likes

Vologda Kremlin

Vologda - the cultural center of Russian North. Situated between Moscow and St. Petersburg. Vologda was founded in 1147. On  that panorama you can see Sofia cathedral, Pryanichny house and Vologda's bell tower.

Copyright: Shusharin Eda
Type: Spherical
Resolution: 8000x4000
Taken: 22/05/2009
Uploaded: 22/05/2009
Updated: 23/09/2014
Views:

...


Tags: vologda
comments powered by Disqus

Алексей Попов
Vologda Kremlin 2
Dmitry Plavkov
Kremlin Square. Vologda
Shusharin-EDA
Vologda
Aleksy Kirilovskiy
Kremlin Square
Alexey Yuzhakov
Kremlin area
Alexey Yuzhakov
Kremlin, near monument KN Batyushkov
dmitry-o-belov
r.Vologda. Spring tide.
Alexey Yuzhakov
Vologda State Pedagogical University
Dmitry Levin
Chapel in the honor of Nativity of Christ
Dmitry Levin
Bridge of lovers
dmitry-o-belov
Maslenitsa hill
parusnik parusnik
горка вологда
ehcsimred
Magic Carpet
John Leith
Ireland Shore, Stenness, Orkney
heiwa4126
John Lennon Museum
Konrad Łaszczyński
Mausoleum of Mohammed V
Marek Szarejko
Halloween Historic Stages Rally
dieter kik
Centre nautique de Creac'h Gwen Quimper
Konrad Łaszczyński
Moroccan pottery maker in Safi
Xia Wen
Shilaoniang Alley 2010.10.4
Konrad Łaszczyński
Decorative and artistic shops in Marrakech by night
Lee Casalena
View from Lion's Head
Jürgen Matern
On the old Navajo Bridge over Marble Canyon
Martin Broomfield
Dirgantara Statue, Jakarta
Shusharin-EDA
Pokrovskoe Park
Shusharin-EDA
Pokrovskoe usadba
Shusharin-EDA
Вологодский государственный ордена «Знак почёта» драматический театр
Shusharin-EDA
Vologda Russian House
Shusharin-EDA
shavchugov's village
Shusharin-EDA
Kyrovsky skver
Shusharin-EDA
Круглый дворик
Shusharin-EDA
Vologda - Rodina
Shusharin-EDA
Vologda
Shusharin-EDA
Revolution square
Shusharin-EDA
Krugly dvor 2
Shusharin-EDA
Vologda Red Bridge
More About

Vologda was first mentioned in Novgorod chronicles for 1147, when Saint Gerasimus found a church and village already standing there. Surrounded by impassable woods, the settlement was inhabited by Novgorodians who pulled the ships from a tributary of theVolga to a tributary of the Northern Dvina, thus making possible navigation from the White Sea to the Caspian. In 1273 the city was ravaged by a Mongol raid. It was not until 1412, when the area was ceded by Novgorod Republic to Muscovy, that the town acquired any measure of importance. The princes of Muscovy made Vologda their outpost in the North. By the end of the century, Vologda eclipsed the ancient centre of that region, Belozersk. Its commercial importance further increased when the Muscovy Company started its operations in Russia.