The town owes its splendid cathedral, which adjoins the north side of the Dóm tér (Dóm Square), to a vow by the citizens of Szeged during the floods. The plans for the church, built in 1913-30, were by Ernö Foerk and Frigyes Schulek, whose design for the façade was inspired by the Italian Romanesque cathedrals. Above the main doorway is the 3m (10ft)high statue of the Madonna, the patron of the church and protector of Hungary (Patrona Hungariae). To the left and right of the Madonna are the twelve apostles in the form of mosaic pictures. An interesting representation of the Madonna can be found inside the cathedral in the mosaic by Ferenc Márton over the baldachin of the high altar. It is also known as the "Madonna in a fur coat", as she is depicted wearing a richly decorated fur coat, typical of the Great Plain region, as well as red slippers typical of Szeged. There is a notable crucifix by János Fadrusz on a side altar.
Church of St Nicholas Description
(Local Name: Görögkeleti Szerb templom) Northeast of the Votive Church is the Greek Orthodox church of St Nicholas (Görögkeleti Szerb templom) built in 1773-78 by the new Serbian citizens in Baroque style. It has a fine iconostasis made up of 80 icons in a pearwood frame.