Bennett Place is a quiet, restored farmhouse, situated in Durham in the North Carolina countryside. In April of 1865, this farmhouse was located between two opposing armies; Confederate Gen. Joseph E. Johnston's headquarters in Greensboro, and Union Gen. William T. Sherman's headquarters in Raleigh. The two Generals met at this farmhouse to negotiate and sign the surrender documents for the Southern Armies in the Carolinas, Georgia and Florida, in what became the largest troop surrender of the U.S. Civil War. The house and farm are now preserved as a North Carolina Historic Site. In 1865, the farm was owned by James and Nancy Bennett (at the time, the name was spelled Bennitt). At the time, General Joseph Johnston’s army had failed to stop the army of the Union General, William T. Sherman, from waging a war of total destruction in North Carolina. But once it became known that General Robert E. Lee’s army had surrendered to General Ulysses Grant, the war was over and further fighting had to cease.