N
N
Projections and Nav Modes
  • Normal View
  • Fisheye View
  • Architectural View
  • Stereographic View
  • Little Planet View
  • Panini View
Click and Drag / QTVR mode
Condividi questo panorama
For Non-Commercial Use Only
This panorama can be embedded into a non-commercial site at no charge. Leggi oltre
Do you agree to the Terms & Conditions?
For commercial use, Contattaci
Embed this Panorama
LarghezzaAltezza
For Non-Commercial Use Only
For commercial use, Contattaci
License this Panorama

Enhances advertising, editorial, film, video, TV, Websites, and mobile experiences.

LICENSE MODAL

0 Likes

Interior Iglesia San Francisco - Castro
Chile

Declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 2000, the church of San Francisco is one of the most important historical buildings in the city.

The Church of San Francisco
Castro was one of the main points selected by the Jesuits, first, and then by the Franciscans to organize the evangelization of the indigenous communities of the archipelago of Chiloé.

For this reason, in the city, and throughout the island, the Catholic churches are part of the testimony about the origins of current populations. San Francisco is one of them and, in addition to exhibiting its architectural beauty, has the passage of the first Catholic missionaries in the region.

Located between the streets of San Martin and Gamboa, the temple is known for its marvelous facade and was declared a National Monument in 1979 and a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 2000. These awards are based on centuries of history worth knowing.



A courageous mission

In 1567, the year of the founding of Castro, they built the first church, which bore the name of St. James. This temple was burned twice by Dutch privateers and raised again several times until in 1772 he left his reconstruction. Then, the parish became a Jesuit chapel built in 1608 that, after the expulsion of that order, occupied the Franciscans arrived from Chillán in 1768.
The Church of San Francisco
The side of the chapel stood the present church of San Francisco, whose construction began in
1910 and was led by the Italian architect Eduardo Provasoli. Important dimensions that reach 1,300 square meters, the woodwork was carried out by craftsmen led by the teacher chilotes Salvador Sierpe. The church reflects the influence of their creators, as the Gothic and classic design combines with the local building style. The struture is made from native woods, especially larch, cypress, and other calls coigüe chilotes "red".

The interior is covered in exquisite olivillo raulí and cabinet work in the arches, altars and choir, while the facade, roof and exterior are coated on galvanized iron.

The highlight of this magnificent building, two imposing towers rising from the forehead to the sky on a clear signal to the faithful who go to their religion and for visitors who wish to know.


The Church of San Francisco
Press sources: Council of National Monuments and site of the University of Chile http://www.iglesiasdechiloe.uchile.cl/

View More »

Copyright: Luis A. Romero Pavez (Wro Ke N)
Type: Spherical
Resolution: 13000x6500
Taken: 23/02/2012
Caricate: 26/03/2012
Aggiornato: 27/03/2015
Numero di visualizzazioni:

...


Tags: church
comments powered by Disqus
More About Chile