The pier is located on the banks of Bold Trieste, in the city center, just steps away from Piazza Unity of Italy and the Grand Canal. Separates the basin of the St. George Basin of the Old Port of San Giusto.
In 1740, sank in the port of Trieste, near the shore, the ship St. Charles. Instead of removing the wreck, it was decided to use as a basis for the construction of a new pier, which was built between 1743 and 1751 and was dedicated to Saint Charles.
Then the pier was shorter as it is today, because it measured only 95 feet long and was joined on the ground through a small wooden bridge. In the second half of 1700 it was lengthened by 19 meters and 132 meters in 1860 the other, reaching its current length of 246 meters. The bridge was removed, joining the dock directly to the mainland.
St. Charles is docked at the pier passenger ships merchant ships, with great movement of people and goods.
On 3 November 1918, at the end of World War I, the first Navy ship to enter the Italian port of Trieste and to dock at the pier was the destroyer Audace San Carlo, which is still exposed at the base of the lighthouse of Victory.
The seafront in Trieste (by the Harbour Square Unity of Italy) seen from the top of the pier Bold In memory of this event was renamed the pier, the pier they called Bold, and at the end of the pier itself was built a wind rose in bronze, with an inscription in the center, supported by a column of white stone.
Over time, with the movement of maritime traffic in other parts of the port, the quay Bold gradually lost its mercantile function, and today there only occasionally passing boats dock. The pier was so a popular place to stroll, a catwalk jutting out into the sea dall'indubbio charm, which completes the walk along the streets and unification of Italy.
Panorama scattato il giorno 8 febbraio 2012. Dopo più di una settimana e mezza di bora forte e contin...
Piazza Unità d'Italia (Unity of Italy Square in English) is the main town square in Trieste, Italy. I...
As the largest town sqaure in Trieste, the Piazza dell’Unità d’Italia is also known as the Piazza Gra...
The Canal Grande in Trieste is a waterway that is located in the heart of Theresian, in the city cent...
The name "Italy" is shrouded in mystery; some etymologists trace it to a Greek word meaning "the land of young cattle."
Italy was fond of Jupiter and Mars from the very start, Jupiter for fatherly good luck and Mars for war!
But it all began with Rome. Rome was founded by Romulus and Remus who were sons of Rhea and Mars.
The twins were abandoned at birth out of a fear that they would grow up and later overthrow Amelius, usurper of their grandfather's rightful throne.
Wrongful mis-doings most foul! Treachery and sabotage!! HOW would these two blessed infants make their way in such a world?
As it turns out, the twins didn't have to make their way very far, because one of them killed the other one and then they weren't twins anymore. But that happens later.
First they got rescued by a she-wolf who suckled them with her milk and raised them as her own until they were discovered by the shepherd Faustulus.
Faustulus fed them meat and bread and also raised them as his own until they were old enough to return to Amelius and hack him up as planned. They reinstated the grandfather Numitor to his rightful throne and went off to celebrate by starting a town of their own.
They chose a hilly area where the mama wolf had saved them from certain death in the barren wilderness and began scouting locations.
Romulus liked one hill. Remus liked another. The circle of crows like Romulus' hill, so Romulus killed Remus and named the town after himself. Thus Rome was born and Italy with it.
Text by Steve Smith.