Veliko Rujno and Malo Rujno are two connected plateaus on the Velebit mountain. Together they make up the most spacious terrace on Velebit about 7 km long and 1 km wide at an altitude of about 900m.
Once the plateau was inhabited from spring to autumn, when the inhabitants of the nearby coastal settlements lived on Rujno as farmers, but returned to their winter homes in the coastal area. Today, many houses are restored, but mainly serve as cottages.
The Chapel of Our Lady on Veliko Rujno was built in year 1933. Every year at the 15th of August Mass is held at the chapel and Rujno is then visited by many people from the surrounding area as well as mountaineers from all over Croatia.
View More »