Wikipedia: "Der Schnoor – auch das Schnoorviertel genannt (von niederdeutsch Schnoor, Snoor = Schnur) – ist ein mittelalterliches Gängeviertel in der Altstadt Bremens und auch der Name der Straße Schnoor in diesem Viertel. Das Quartier verdankt seine Bezeichnung dem alten Schiffshandwerk. Die Gänge zwischen den Häusern standen oft in Zusammenhang mit Berufen oder Gegenständen: So gab es einen Bereich, in welchem Seile und Taue hergestellt wurden (Schnoor = Schnur), und einen benachbarten Bereich, in dem Draht und Ankerketten gefertigt wurden (plattdeutsch Wiere = Draht), woher die Straße Lange Wieren ihren Namen hat."
Here are the roots of the Hanseatic city of Bremen. The Schnoor quarter had been the economic centre since early history. Fishermen, craftsmen and traders were the earliest Bremen folk and settled in the 10th century in the vicinity of the river. They built thatched cottages on the little island between the rivers Weser and Balge. It is said that the Weser formerly was a side branch of the Balge.
The first ferry service was established here, and the first bridge crossing the Weser was built around the year 1240. You can find an old wall and parts of a round tower which was erected around 1200, near the so called Marterburg.
In the 13th century Franciscan monks had settled and their St. John's church was constructed in the following decades.
The 1,200 year old “Free Hanseatic City of Bremen” and its North Sea port sister of Bremerhaven make up a two-city state, which is the smallest of Germany’s sixteen states. The cities are separated by a mere 60 kilometers along the river Weser. Bremen is a center of technology, renowned for its leadership in aircraft construction and space station assembly as well as space propulsion systems. The city-state earned the distinction of being named the “City of Science” in 2005 as demonstrated by the science center “Universum Bremen” and the “EADS Astrium”.