0 Likes

Cathedral Island - Wroclaw
Wroclaw

Ostrów Tumski ("Cathedral Island", German: Dominsel) is the oldest part of the city of Wrocław in south-western Poland. It was formerly an island (ostrów in old Polish) between branches of the Oder River.

Archaeological excavations have shown that the western part of Ostrów Tumski, between the Church of St. Martin and the Holy Cross, was the first to be inhabited. The first, wooden church (St. Martin), dating from the 9th century, was surrounded by defensive walls built on the banks of the river. The island had approximately 1,500 inhabitants at that time.

The first constructions on Ostrów Tumski were built in the 10th century by the Piast dynasty, and were made from wood. The first building from solid material was St. Martin's chapel, built probably at the beginning of the eleventh century by Benedictine monks. Not long after the first cathedral was raised, in place of the small church.

In 1163 the settlement was raided by Boleslaw I the Tall who had returned after being banished. After taking control of the area and waiting for the political situation in Silesia to stabilize, he chose Ostrów Tumski as his new seat. He began replacing the wooden defenses with brick ones and to build a Roman-style residence. more...

Copyright: Robert Pipala
Type: Spherical
Resolution: 6000x3000
送信日: 04/11/2011
更新日: 04/09/2014
見られた回数:

...


Tags: wrocław; poland; polska; breslau; ostrow tumski; cathedral island; island; wroclaw; odra; river; riverbank; riverside
comments powered by Disqus

Robert Hernik
Wrocław Cathedral
Krzysztof Bialek
The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Wrocław
Grzegorz Rogala
Archikatedra św. Jana Chrzciciela we Wrocławiu
Krzysztof Bialek
Market in front of Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Wrocław
Grzegorz Rogala
St. John the Baptist Cathedral
Radosław Więckowski
Cathedral Square
Robert Pipala
Katedralna St in Ostrow Tumski, Wroclaw
H.J.Weber
Wroklaw (Breslau) - Ostro-Tumski
H.J.Weber
Wroclaw (Breslau) - Tumski-Bridge
Robert Hernik
Tumski Bridge
H.J.Weber
Breslau (Wroclaw) - Statue von Kardinal Boleslaw Kominek
H.J.Weber
Wroclaw (Breslau) - red-bridge-no-171
Markus Kaeppeli
Switzerland Merenschwand Postlonzihaus Wagon-maker
Fritz Hanke
Fiescheralp
Roy Reed
All Saints Margaret Street, the Chancel
Johan Offermans & Karl Overholt
Worlds first cabrio-style cable car in Stanserhorn, Switzerland
Vladimir Vlasenko
Radio telescope RT-70
Andrew Bodrov
Festival Light Walks in Kadriorg, Tallinn
Markus Kaeppeli
Switzerland Merenschwand Apple in the Fog
Daniel Oi
Outdoor Theatre, Esplanade, Singapore
Uwe Buecher
Malta - Blue Grotto from Viewpoint
Richard Chesher
Blue-Eyed Squid Ilot Ua New Caledonia
Kengo Shimizu
重要文化財「永富家住宅」の竈(兵庫県たつの市)
Chebaldin Vladimir
Old "Colt" planes. Yalutorovsk Airfield.
Robert Pipala
Bialowieza, "Royal Oak Trail" - Oak Gediminas
Robert Pipala
Cathedral Island - Wroclaw
Robert Pipala
Collegiate Church of St. Peter and Paul in Kruszwica
Robert Pipala
Oslawa-River
Robert Pipala
Jodlownik, wooden church
Robert Pipala
Collegiate church in Tum
Robert Pipala
Collegiate church in Tum
Robert Pipala
Osiek - Church. St. Andrew
Robert Pipala
Sobolow, wooden church
Robert Pipala
Royal Castel courtyard
Robert Pipala
Kanonia Street
Robert Pipala
Sobolow, wooden church
More About Wroclaw

Wrocław was the historical capital of Silesia. Over the centuries, the city has been part of either Poland, Bohemia, Austria, Prussia, or Germany. Since 1945 it has been part of Poland.source: wikipedia