Overlooking the Mississippi River, the Nauvoo Temple is a modern historic re-creation of the original building built beginning in 1846 and dedicated in 1846. The modern building is built on the same site as the historic one. Originally, the building was abandoned shortly after its completion due to the severe persecution of the members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The Temple is located in the town of Nauvoo, Illinois on a big bend of the Mississippi River. The original Temple was destroyed by fire in 1848 and later by a tornado in 1850. The stone from the original Temple was incorporated into several of the buildings that are still standing in Nauvoo. One of the carved stones from the exterior, called a sun stone, containing a carving of an idealized face of the sun, resides in the Smithsonian American History Museum in Washington, D.C. The statute represents the brothers, Joseph and Hyrum Smith on horseback, leaving Nauvoo for the last time before their martyrdom.