Recently rennovated, Castel Beseno is the largest feudal fortress all over the Trentino region.
Those travelling from Rovereto to the city of Trento across the Vallagarina valley, will be immediately attracted by the majestic fortress on the hill near to Folgaria. Here on this strategically oh-so important place towers Trentino’s largest fortress, referred to as Castel Beseno. First written documents date back to the 12th century, when the castle still belonged to the counts of Appiano and served as a residence to the aristocratic family Da Beseno.
In the following years and centuries, the castle witnessed a rather turbulent history. In 1470 it was handed over to the counts Trapp, a noble family from Styria affiliated with the Austrian emperor. Soon the castle had to be rennovated due to a fire and the medieval castle turned into a residence. Threatened by decay, the castle was given to the Province of Trento, rennovated and made a remote seat of the Castello del Buonconsiglio Museum.
Two mighty elliptical walls featuring a length of 250 and 55 metres surround the castle. Worth seeing are also the dark castle gate, the drawbridge, the crenels and the arena.
Trentino-Alto Adige/Südtirol consists of two provinces: Trento and Bolzano-Bozen. The region was part of Austria-Hungary (and its predecessor, the Austrian Empire) from 1815 until its annexation by Italy in 1919. Together with the Austrian state of Tyrol it is represented by the Euroregion Tyrol-South Tyrol-Trentino.More informations on Wikipedia