Its Kale (uc Kale) meaning three castles or towers in turkish, is the southeastern acropolis of the Byzantine castle in the city of Ioannina. The Byzantine castle was built in 528 A.D. on orders of the emperor Justinian but the buildings on this panorama are of a a later date. It is the location of the palace of Ali Pasha(1744-1822) (now Byzantine museum), one of the rulers during the Ottoman occupation, his grave and the Fetihe Mosque. Also visible are Ali Pashas Kitchens (the building with four chimneys) and a tower build by Bohemund in 1082 (with four children sitting on it), during his campaign with the Normans in the Byzantine wars.
Its Kale overlooks the lake of Ioannina(Pamvotis) and parts of the city of Ioannina. It is now a place with museums, a cafeteria and it often hosts artistic performances ranging from live music to theater.