Projections and Nav Modes
  • Normal View
  • Fisheye View
  • Architectural View
  • Stereographic View
  • Little Planet View
  • Panini View
Click and Drag / QTVR mode
Compartilhe esta panorâmica
For Non-Commercial Use Only
This panorama can be embedded into a non-commercial site at no charge. Leia mais
Do you agree to the Terms & Conditions?
For commercial use, contacte-nos
Embed this Panorama
LarguraAltura
For Non-Commercial Use Only
For commercial use, contacte-nos
License this Panorama

Enhances advertising, editorial, film, video, TV, Websites, and mobile experiences.

LICENSE MODAL

0 Likes

The Anglican Church of St John The Baptist Dixie
Toronto

In 1817 the "Fountainhill" chapel was built of logs at the corner of Dundas St. and Cawthra Rd. to serve Protestant Christians, mainly of the Methodist, Presbyterian, and Anglican denominations. In 1837, this was replaced by a larger stone chapel which still stands. At the same time the Anglican congregation formally organized as Christ Church, Sydenham.

They continued to share space in what later became known as Dixie Union Chapel, and were serviced by the Rector of St. Peter's Erindale over the following years    In 1870, construction of St. John the Baptist, Dixie, began on the adjoining lot to the east. Until 1951, St. John's and St. Peter's continued to share the sevices of the same rector.    

In 1910, the first of subsequent land purchases was made to enlarge the cemetery lands. This continued through to 1961, giving us about 12 Acres     Following World War I, additional space requirements led to the building of the basement in 1922.

Then in June 1924 the church was struck by lightning and was completely destroyed. The congregation quickly moved to rebuild, and the new edifice was dedicated on December 20, 1925. In 1938 the drive shed from the horse and buggy era to the north of the church, was sold  In 1951, the long desired separation of St. Peter's Erindale and St. John the Baptist - Dixie, took place.

In 1954 the church hall was built to accomodate the 350 Sunday School pupils. A new Rectory was built in 1984 in the northeast corner of the cemetery, followed by the construction of a Crematorium in 1990    September 15, 2002 marked the dedication of the expanded facilities of St. John's, by the Rt. Rev. Ann Tottenham, Bishop of the Credit Valley.

The addition made the Church wholly accessible to all with disabilities or in wheelchairs, provided improved washroom facilities, new offices and meeting rooms.With the dedication of the beautiful new addition, we continue our history of building at St. John's.

Copyright: Digital Properties.Ca Bryan Groulx
Type: Spherical
Resolution: 11732x5866
Taken: 29/08/2010
Uploaded: 03/09/2010
Atualizado: 05/03/2015
Visitas:

...


Tags: church; mississauga; anglican; architecture
comments powered by Disqus
More About Toronto