Located at the easternmost point of land of the contiguous United States, West Quoddy Head Light is an impressive example of 19th century Maine coast light houses. The station, as an aid to navigation was established in 1808 and the lighthouse itself was built in 1857. It was manned for over 200 years until the light was automated in 1988.
Known as Maine's most recognizable lighthouse, the tower is 49 feet high (15 meters) and the center of the lantern is 83 feet (25.3 meters) above sea level.
For more information on this magnificent structure, start by going to http://www.lighthouse.cc/westquoddy/