N
N
Projections and Nav Modes
  • Normal View
  • Fisheye View
  • Architectural View
  • Stereographic View
  • Little Planet View
  • Panini View
Click and Drag / QTVR mode
Distribuie aceasta panorama
For Non-Commercial Use Only
This panorama can be embedded into a non-commercial site at no charge. Citeste mai mult
Do you agree to the Terms & Conditions?
For commercial use, contacteaza-ne
Embed this Panorama
LatimeInaltime
For Non-Commercial Use Only
For commercial use, contacteaza-ne
License this Panorama

Enhances advertising, editorial, film, video, TV, Websites, and mobile experiences.

LICENSE MODAL

0 Likes

Canal Grande di Trieste (Grand Canal of Trieste)
Trieste

The Canal Grande in Trieste is a waterway that is located in the heart of Theresian, in the city center, about halfway between the railway station and Piazza Unification of Italy, with the entrance of St. George Basin of the Old Port.


It was constructed in 1754-1756 by the Venetian Matteo Pirona digging further main collector of salt, when they were buried to allow the development of the city outside the walls. It was built so that boats could go directly to the center of the city to load and unload their goods.

In its initial shape, the channel was longer as it is today, and reached up to touch the church of St. Anthony. The end of the channel was in fact buried in 1934, with the rubble from the demolition of the old town, thus obtaining the current St. Anthony's Square. Buried in the basement was a small destroyer escort ship that was docked there, damaged and abandoned after the war.

History

It was constructed in 1754-1756 by the Venetian Matteo Pirona digging further main collector of salt, when they were buried to allow the development of the city outside the walls. It was built so that boats could go directly to the center of the city to load and unload their goods.

In its initial shape, the channel was longer as it is today, and reached up to touch the church of St. Anthony. The end of the channel was in fact buried in 1934, with the rubble from the demolition of the old town, thus obtaining the current St. Anthony's Square. Buried in the basement was a small destroyer escort ship that was docked there, damaged and abandoned after the war.

The palaces

Face area of ​​the channel:

Aedes the side of the building, said high-rise red (1928 - architect Arduino Berlam) (main facade on the Rive)
The venue of the building Gopcevich (1850 - architect Giovanni Andrea Berlam), particularly from white plaster and red, also home to the Theatre Museum Charles Schmidl the neoclassical church of St. Anthony the Wonderworker (1849 - architect Pietro Nobile), all known as St. Anthony New
Polaris coffee, one of the historic cafes of Trieste the temple of Saint Spyridon Orthodox (1869 - architect Charles Maciachini), with a sky-blue domes the side of the Palace Genel (1873 - Dominic Monti) (main facade on Piazza Ponterosso) Carciotti the side of the Palace (1805 - architect Matteo Pertsch) (main facade on the Rive)

The Bridges

Today the canal is crossed by two bridges:

Red Bridge in mid-channel. Built in wood in 1756, just completed the construction of the canal, was then the only existing bridge, as the other bridges were built at a later date. It was rebuilt amplifying a decade later, and rebuilt again, this time in iron, in 1832. On the Red Bridge is a statue of Irish writer James Joyce, in memory of his stay in the city. At the four ends of the bridge parapets are located on four beautiful lights, which previously adorned the statue's dedication of Trieste to Austria, which was a time in Freedom Square, in front of the train station.

Ponte Verde at 'the beginning of the channel entrance from the sea. Built-iron in 1858, he was joined in 1904 another bridge, called Ponte White or New Bridge, over which passed the railroad that once connected the old port with the new port, through the banks. At the beginning of the channel, before the bridge, there is also a boatyard to pull dry small vessel for maintenance. The name comes from the color of the bridges which were originally painted in their structures. At the time of their construction or swing bridges were opened to allow access to the channel of the sailing ships to unload the goods. The bridges were subsequently replaced by the current fixed bridges in masonry, but only allow the passage of small boats, with the help of low tide. The Red Bridge was replaced in 1925, and the Green Bridge in 1950. With these buildings and the Green Bridge White Bridge became a single structure.

The squares

Next to the Red Bridge on the homonymous square Ponterosso, the site of open air market of fruits, vegetables and flowers. In the busy market has fallen significantly, and no longer hear the characteristic implies that the sellers, calls venderigole, threw their customers. On one side of the square is a fountain (1753 - Mazzoleni), with a central statue of a cherub, familiarly called Giovannin de Ponterosso, the fact that the water that fed came from the district of St. John.

At the end of the channel is square instead of the aforementioned letters, set up in the garden with a fountain in the center. On the square facing the North Star Coffee, one of the historic cafes of Trieste.

(Source: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canal_Grande_di_Trieste)

View More »

Copyright: Viktor Vokic
Type: Spherical
Resolution: 6358x3179
Taken: 20/10/2011
Uploaded: 20/10/2011
Actualizat: 23/03/2015
Vizualizari:

...


Tags: canal grande di trieste; grand canal; trieste; italy; italia
comments powered by Disqus
More About Trieste