Characterized by classicist and neo-baroque features the Basilica of St Michael the Archangel is two-towered, cross-shaped church with three naves. Originally built in 1824 by the Marian Fathers who settled in the area around 1750 the present appearanse of the Church reflects several expansions and other changes. In 1992 it was given the title of minor Basilica. In 1934 the remains of Jurgis Matulaitis (1871-1927) were brought from Kaunas Cathedral and officially re-interred in the Basilica. The Chapel on the right side of the Basilica is dedicated to Matulaitis who Pope John Paul II beatified in 1987. He is the only Lithuanian declared "holy" by the Church in modern times. Piligrims from both Lithuania and abroad visit the Basilica. Crowds gather in Marijampole each July for an eight-day celebration of the feast of the beatified Jurgis Matulaitis, which is held on 12 July.