The Plaza of the Americas is a center of student activity on the University of Florida, the second largest in Florida by student population and is nationally ranked for academics. The University excels in many areas including sports, agriculture, medicine and astronomy. This panorama is taken in the heart of the University. It is one of only 17 public, land-grant universities that belongs to the Association of American Universities. In 1853, the state-funded East Florida Seminary acquired the Kingsbury Academy in Ocala. The East Florida Seminary moved to Gainesville, Florida in the 1860s and was some time later combined with Florida Agricultural College, a land grant college, then in Lake City, Florida. In 1905, the Florida Agricultural College became the University of Florida and moved to Gainesville. The first classes in the new University were held on Sept. 26, 1906. The University of Florida has more than 50,000 students and is one of the largest universities in the United States.