The Rockland Breakwater extends 7/8 of a mile into the center of Rockland Harbor. At the end of the breakwater stands the Rockland Breakwater Light. The breakwater was built between 1881 and 1899 with 768,774 tons of granite. The lighthouse was built in 1902 after an appropriation of $30,000 by the US Congress. It was constructed by the W.H. Glover Company of Rockland.
The lantern was first lit on October 30, 1902. It was tended by keepers who usually traveled by boat from Rockland rather than permanently living at the lighthouse. In 1965 the light was automated and subsequently given up by the Coast Guard.
Today the lighthouse is leased by the city of Rockland to Friends of the Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse, a chapter of the American Lighthouse Foundation which maintains, restores and promotes the lighthouse.
View More »