The Fort of St Nicholas (Sv. Nikola) was built in 1540 at the entrance to
the St Anthony Channel (Sv. Ante), the only sea approach to Šibenik in order to protect the town from the Turkish attacks from the sea. The builder was Venetian military architect Giangirolamo Sanmicheli. White stone was used for building the lower parts of the fortress and red stone for the upper parts.