0 Likes

Canal Grande di Trieste (Grand Canal of Trieste)
Trieste

The Canal Grande in Trieste is a waterway that is located in the heart of Theresian, in the city center, about halfway between the railway station and Piazza Unification of Italy, with the entrance of St. George Basin of the Old Port.


It was constructed in 1754-1756 by the Venetian Matteo Pirona digging further main collector of salt, when they were buried to allow the development of the city outside the walls. It was built so that boats could go directly to the center of the city to load and unload their goods.

In its initial shape, the channel was longer as it is today, and reached up to touch the church of St. Anthony. The end of the channel was in fact buried in 1934, with the rubble from the demolition of the old town, thus obtaining the current St. Anthony's Square. Buried in the basement was a small destroyer escort ship that was docked there, damaged and abandoned after the war.

History

It was constructed in 1754-1756 by the Venetian Matteo Pirona digging further main collector of salt, when they were buried to allow the development of the city outside the walls. It was built so that boats could go directly to the center of the city to load and unload their goods.

In its initial shape, the channel was longer as it is today, and reached up to touch the church of St. Anthony. The end of the channel was in fact buried in 1934, with the rubble from the demolition of the old town, thus obtaining the current St. Anthony's Square. Buried in the basement was a small destroyer escort ship that was docked there, damaged and abandoned after the war.

The palaces

Face area of ​​the channel:

Aedes the side of the building, said high-rise red (1928 - architect Arduino Berlam) (main facade on the Rive)
The venue of the building Gopcevich (1850 - architect Giovanni Andrea Berlam), particularly from white plaster and red, also home to the Theatre Museum Charles Schmidl the neoclassical church of St. Anthony the Wonderworker (1849 - architect Pietro Nobile), all known as St. Anthony New
Polaris coffee, one of the historic cafes of Trieste the temple of Saint Spyridon Orthodox (1869 - architect Charles Maciachini), with a sky-blue domes the side of the Palace Genel (1873 - Dominic Monti) (main facade on Piazza Ponterosso) Carciotti the side of the Palace (1805 - architect Matteo Pertsch) (main facade on the Rive)

The Bridges

Today the canal is crossed by two bridges:

Red Bridge in mid-channel. Built in wood in 1756, just completed the construction of the canal, was then the only existing bridge, as the other bridges were built at a later date. It was rebuilt amplifying a decade later, and rebuilt again, this time in iron, in 1832. On the Red Bridge is a statue of Irish writer James Joyce, in memory of his stay in the city. At the four ends of the bridge parapets are located on four beautiful lights, which previously adorned the statue's dedication of Trieste to Austria, which was a time in Freedom Square, in front of the train station.

Ponte Verde at 'the beginning of the channel entrance from the sea. Built-iron in 1858, he was joined in 1904 another bridge, called Ponte White or New Bridge, over which passed the railroad that once connected the old port with the new port, through the banks. At the beginning of the channel, before the bridge, there is also a boatyard to pull dry small vessel for maintenance. The name comes from the color of the bridges which were originally painted in their structures. At the time of their construction or swing bridges were opened to allow access to the channel of the sailing ships to unload the goods. The bridges were subsequently replaced by the current fixed bridges in masonry, but only allow the passage of small boats, with the help of low tide. The Red Bridge was replaced in 1925, and the Green Bridge in 1950. With these buildings and the Green Bridge White Bridge became a single structure.

The squares

Next to the Red Bridge on the homonymous square Ponterosso, the site of open air market of fruits, vegetables and flowers. In the busy market has fallen significantly, and no longer hear the characteristic implies that the sellers, calls venderigole, threw their customers. On one side of the square is a fountain (1753 - Mazzoleni), with a central statue of a cherub, familiarly called Giovannin de Ponterosso, the fact that the water that fed came from the district of St. John.

At the end of the channel is square instead of the aforementioned letters, set up in the garden with a fountain in the center. On the square facing the North Star Coffee, one of the historic cafes of Trieste.

(Source: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canal_Grande_di_Trieste)

View More »

Copyright: Viktor vokic
Typ: Spherical
Resolution: 6358x3179
Uppladdad: 20/10/2011
Uppdaterad: 07/08/2014
Visningar:

...


Tags: canal grande di trieste; grand canal; trieste; italy; italia
comments powered by Disqus

Takács István
Statue of James Joyce in Trieste
Štefan Grgič
Buffet da Pepi Sciavo - with Ignazio
Štefan Grgič
Sg italia trieste teatro verdi entrata
Atila Bezdan
Trieste,Piazza della Borsa
Štefan Grgič
Sg italia trieste piazza della borsa
Atila Bezdan
Trieste,Piazza della Borsa
Takács István
Triest
Viktor Vokic
Unity of Italy Square (Piazza Unità d'Italia)
Viktor Vokic
Pier in Trieste
Michele Frusi
Trieste Waterside at Sunset
Michele Frusi
44° Barcolana 2012 - Trieste, Molo Audace
Michele Frusi
Unity of Italy Square by night - Trieste
Bob Stapleton
Red Phone Booth
Jeff Scholl
Above Bigfork Bay, Montana in the summer
Rod Edwards
The Racetrack
Wojciech Sadlej
Spokojna 15 Garaz
Brian Richards
Pier Remains, Horseshoe Cove, Sandy Hook, New Jersey
Richard Chesher
World Heritage Site New Caledonia Southern Lagoon
Stephan Messner
Sesriem after rain in march 2009
Fariborz Alagheband
Park Jamshidieh Lake
Tim Hayes
George Washington Masonic Memorial Interior
Min Heo
in front of UNIQLO, Shinsaibashi street
Richard Hart
Dodge Dart 1964 Bolsa Chica Beach California
Frank Luetgenau
Lido Venedig
Viktor Vokic
Perseus with the Head of Medusa (Benvenuto Cellin) Loggia dei Lanzi
Viktor Vokic
St. Francis of Assisi Church - By Night
Viktor Vokic
Fontaine de l'Observatoire (Luxembourg Gardens) Paris
Viktor Vokic
St. Francis of Assisi Church - Mexikoplatz
Viktor Vokic
Vojin Popovic monument at Voivode Vuk park - Belgrade
Viktor Vokic
Basilica of St Lawrence
Viktor Vokic
Scyscraper at Bulevar Mihajla Pupina street
Viktor Vokic
Field above Tosin Bunar train station
Viktor Vokic
Florence rooftops (The Duomo) by night
Viktor Vokic
Piazza del Duomo (Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore, Giotto’s Campanile, Battistero di San Giovanni and Loggia del Bigallo)
Viktor Vokic
The Old Roman Theatre (Teatro Romano)
Viktor Vokic
Bezanijska Kosa graveyard
Mer om Italy

The name "Italy" is shrouded in mystery; some etymologists trace it to a Greek word meaning "the land of young cattle."Italy was fond of Jupiter and Mars from the very start, Jupiter for fatherly good luck and Mars for war!But it all began with Rome. Rome was founded by Romulus and Remus who were sons of Rhea and Mars.The twins were abandoned at birth out of a fear that they would grow up and later overthrow Amelius, usurper of their grandfather's rightful throne.Wrongful mis-doings most foul! Treachery and sabotage!! HOW would these two blessed infants make their way in such a world?As it turns out, the twins didn't have to make their way very far, because one of them killed the other one and then they weren't twins anymore. But that happens later.First they got rescued by a she-wolf who suckled them with her milk and raised them as her own until they were discovered by the shepherd Faustulus.Faustulus fed them meat and bread and also raised them as his own until they were old enough to return to Amelius and hack him up as planned. They reinstated the grandfather Numitor to his rightful throne and went off to celebrate by starting a town of their own.They chose a hilly area where the mama wolf had saved them from certain death in the barren wilderness and began scouting locations.Romulus liked one hill. Remus liked another. The circle of crows like Romulus' hill, so Romulus killed Remus and named the town after himself. Thus Rome was born and Italy with it.Text by Steve Smith.