It is said that "Daishogundo"was built on the north-west corner of Imperial Palace to break evil of unlucky direction, which depend an onmyodo belief.
At first it was called "Daishogun-do",because it was built for an onmyodo-temple.
In Edo period, it was deified for a village-shrine in Daishogun village,and at the same time it was called Daishogunhachijinjya shrine.
The main deity was only "Daishogun" which was not for ancient japanese deities.
In Meiji periodo,the faith of Shinto was become the established religion by "Shinbustu bunrirei" It means "Law of Deity and Buddha must be separate faith " After this matter,this shrine is called"Daishogunhachijinjya"means Susanou no Mikoto( japanese myths), his five sons , three daughters deities,and together denified Emperor Kanmu.
The first data is in an old diary "Sankaiki"-AD1178 on 12.November, Kenreimonin(Empress of Takakura)was delivered,then messangers went on an errand to wish her easy labor to go many temples and shrines. Daishogunsha was written one of 41 temples and shrines. Another data " Meitokuki" showed the place of "Daishogunsha" like this "Ooashi Jirozaemon・・・over 500 samurai on their horses were running to east from Umezu through Ninnaji temple and came infront of the torii (shrine's gate) of Daishogun・・・”
In these distress time , example for The war of OninnoRan , it was highly revered and worshipped by many people. Also in Edo period, it was popular to go 12 shrines to break direction evil and unlucky.
Even now there is a monumental stone which was built in age of Tempo11(AD 1840)
祭神を素盞鳴尊とした理由は 、 1433年伏見宮貞成親王の日記「看聞御記」より、