Förbättrar reklam, redaktionellt, film, video, TV, webbplatser och mobila upplevelser.
The Temple has actualy two names. The one is that of Agia Sofia and the other is of Panagia Hodegetria. It is an octagonal domed church with a room on the south side. It was build in the 12th century (1149-1150) Its sculptured decoration dates back to the 12th century and its wall-paintings belong to the late 12th-early 13th century.Literaly and oral tradition link the church wtih emperor Andronikos II Palaiologos (1282-1328). It is identified as the church dedicated to Virgin Hodegetria mentioned in Historical documents. After the Greek War of Independence(1821) it was dedicated to the Holy Wisdom of God, because it was considered to be a faithful copy of Hagia Sophia in Constantinople (Istanbul). During the Second Venetian occupation (1960-1715) it was the katholikon of a monastery of a Catholic order dedicated to the Madona del Carmine, with the addition of a two-storey outer-nartex. It functioned again as a moquue in the second Turkish period (1715-1821) and returned to the Christian faith after the liberatin of the town (1821). The dates 1827 and 1845 inscribed on its west side correspond to repairs of the church. The monument was restored by Eustathios Stikas in 1958/59.