Projections and Nav Modes
  • Normal View
  • Fisheye View
  • Architectural View
  • Stereographic View
  • Little Planet View
  • Panini View
Click and Drag / QTVR mode
Dela detta panorama
För icke-kommersiellt bruk
Detta panorama kan bäddas in på en icke-kommersiell webbplats utan kostnad. Läs mera
Vill du gå med på Terms & Conditions?
För kommersiellt bruk, kontakta oss
Bädda in detta panorama
För icke-kommersiellt bruk
För kommersiellt bruk, kontakta oss
Licensiera detta panorama

Förbättrar reklam, redaktionellt, film, video, TV, webbplatser och mobila upplevelser.



Cathedral Island - Wroclaw

Ostrów Tumski ("Cathedral Island", German: Dominsel) is the oldest part of the city of Wrocław in south-western Poland. It was formerly an island (ostrów in old Polish) between branches of the Oder River.

Archaeological excavations have shown that the western part of Ostrów Tumski, between the Church of St. Martin and the Holy Cross, was the first to be inhabited. The first, wooden church (St. Martin), dating from the 9th century, was surrounded by defensive walls built on the banks of the river. The island had approximately 1,500 inhabitants at that time.

The first constructions on Ostrów Tumski were built in the 10th century by the Piast dynasty, and were made from wood. The first building from solid material was St. Martin's chapel, built probably at the beginning of the eleventh century by Benedictine monks. Not long after the first cathedral was raised, in place of the small church.

In 1163 the settlement was raided by Boleslaw I the Tall who had returned after being banished. After taking control of the area and waiting for the political situation in Silesia to stabilize, he chose Ostrów Tumski as his new seat. He began replacing the wooden defenses with brick ones and to build a Roman-style residence. more...

Copyright: Robert Pipala
Typ: Spherical
Upplösning: 6000x3000
Taken: 25/07/2010
Uppladdad: 04/11/2011
Uppdaterad: 24/03/2015


Tags: wrocław; poland; polska; breslau; ostrow tumski; cathedral island; island; wroclaw; odra; river; riverbank; riverside
comments powered by Disqus
Mer om Wroclaw

Wrocław was the historical capital of Silesia. Over the centuries, the city has been part of either Poland, Bohemia, Austria, Prussia, or Germany. Since 1945 it has been part of Poland.source: wikipedia