This classical style building and has plateresco ogee arch windows, which shows an architectural development in several stages. Its construction was initiated by the Franciscans in 1531 with the chapel.
In 1575, he became the first church of Valladolid, not be concluded, then, when Bishop Fray Juan de Medina Rincón moved in 1580, the Episcopal See of Patzcuaro to the new capital of Michoacan, the newly formed quickly Franciscan community works because of its importance.
Hosted the first convent established in Valladolid, in his time, the convent was famous brothers, like Paul de Beaumont, chronicler of the Order of St. Peter and St. Paul, in Michoacán, Alonso de Larrea, chronicler also of the same order Joaquín Granados , American car Afternoons; Antonio Margil of Jesus, others who left important evidence in his works.
In the first half of this century, worked in the headquarters building of workers' associations in the thirties and artists Alfredo Zalce, Santos and Pablo O'Higgins Balmori paint a collective mural was destroyed in the restoration of the 70.
The attached church completed in 1610, is notable for its vaulted interior designs treatise follows Sebastian Serlio.