The North Carolina State Capitol was completed in 1840 at a cost of $532,682.34 and is one of the finest and best-preserved examples of a major civic building in the Greek Revival style of architecture. It is a National Historic Landmark. In 1792, Raleigh became North Carolina's permanent seat of government. A simple, two-story brick State House was built on Union Square between 1792 and 1796. This original building burned in 1831 and David Paton (1801-1882), an architect from Edinburgh, Scotland, who had worked for noted Scottish architect William Playfair and English architect Sir John Sloan, was hired in September 1834 to supervise the Capitol's construction. The governor and lieutenant governor, and their immediate staff, occupy offices on the first floor of the Capitol. This photo is taken is in the Winter time, but the building is more visible because of the lack of leaves on the trees.