The brownstone Sheriff's House (1857) and adjacent courthouse would be the center of the "First State National Historical Park" according to a bill introduced in Congress in Feb. 2011. This National Park would "preserve and interpret resources associated with early Dutch, Swedish and English settlement, as well as Delaware’s role in the birth of the nation and becoming the first state via ratifying the constitution".
This panorama was taken from the site of covered market stalls of the town market. They were accessed via the arch in the Town Hall (1832?) which was built to house meeting rooms for the town council and the Trustees of New Castle Common.
To the right of the sheriff's house was a two story jail and, behind a tall stone wall, the jailyard, whipping post and pillory. Immediately to the right of the jailyard is The Arsenal, now a restaurant site, formerly a public school and before that a one story arsenal built in anticipation of the war of 1812.
The statue is of William Penn, who in 1683 became the proprietor of Pennsylvania and its three lower counties (Delaware). He granted 1,000 acres outside of town in 1701 for common land for "the use and behoof of the citizens of New Castle". This Common still exists and the Trustees still use the income from this Common for this purpose.
Across from the sheriff's house is the Presbyterian Church, one of 7 which organized the first Presbytery in American in 1706. Present brick meeting house was built in 1707, a successor to the Dutch Reformed Church built in 1657 on the Strand side of the lot.