Victoria Tower was built between 1847 and 1848, designed by Jesse Hartley based on an 1846 Philip Hardwick drawing. It's construction was to commemorate the opening of Salisbury Dock.
Victoria Tower, often referred to as the 'docker's clock', is a six sided (hexagonal) clock tower and was built as an aid to ships using the port, it allowed them to set the time accurately as they sailed out to Sea. Having six clock faces the time was clearly visible fron any any angle. The tower was added to the Statutory List of Buildings of "Special Architectural or Historic Interest" in 1975, with Grade II status. Despite being in a derelict state, Victoria Tower is part of the Stanley Dock Conservation Area and also Liverpool's World Heritage Maritime Mercantile City.
View More »