In the 16th century the sculptor Francesco Camilliani created this fountain. Since his customer Don Pedro died before the fountain was completed, his son sold the fountain to the city of Palermo in 1573. It was placed on the levelled Piazza Pretoria in front of the church Santa Caterina and the Palazzo Pretorio. Because of the naked statues, the square was renamed Piazza della Vergogna by the inhabitants of Palermo. Even today it is still called this way.