The former bridge (to the right of the new bridge) opened on June 1st 1882. All that remains now are the piers, abutments, and towers. The decking and cables were removed in 1958 when the new bridge was built.
Otago is one of New Zealand's most historical regions with an explosion in development resulting from the discovery of gold in the late 1800s. Central Otago is known as the driest region in New Zealand, it is now a haven for retirees seeking quiet lives, hence the huge increase in property values in recent years.