Although there is no reliable data which would determine the year of castle construction, it was most probably built during 15th century by duke Bernardin Frankopan. It was built as a fortress guarding the road and the crossing on river Dobra on the main rout from central Croatia towards the Adriatic coast. The castle remained in possesion of the noble Frankopan family until 1671. and the fall of this family, that followed after an unsuccessful rebellion against Habsburg rule, event known in Croatian history as a 'Zrinski–Frankopan Conspiracy'. The castle was then plundered by soldiers under the command of Baron Sauer. The castle changes several owners, and in period 1746 - 1809, Baron Stjepan Patačić restores it as a Baroque Manor. In 1783. the castle was visited by the Emperor Joseph II, during his trip towards the Adriatic sea. On that occasion, Baroness Patačić set a memorial board at the entrance of the castle in the honor of Emperors visit. The board went missing during WWII, when the castle was burned and destroyed. Reconstruction of the castle began in 1999.