Built in 1830, the Mull of Galloway lighthouse guards Irish Sea shipping at the southernmost tip of Scotland. Also known as Stevenson Tower, the beacon is one of more than a dozen lighthouses built by the Scottish civil engineer Robert Stevenson. Perched 99 metres above sea level, the light, can be seen as far away as 44 km. The originl paraffin lamp was replaced by an electric sealed-beam in 1971, becoming fully automatic in 1988. It remains in use and is now remotely monitored from the Northern Lighthouse Board’s headquarters in Edinburgh.