The town of Holbrook is located on the wide open plains of eastern Arizona. Old Route-66 was the main street of Holbrook, which was founded in 1882. As the romance of the West attracted many travelers, tourism became an important part of Holbrook’s economy. It was also a stop on the transcontinental railroad and had one of the first Fred Harvey Restaurants which served the train passengers. According to the 2002 U.S. census 4,917 people live in Holbrook.
After World War II tourism flourished as Route 66 traffic increased. Of particular interest in Holbrook are the Navajo County Courthouse dating from 1898 and the one-piece jail that was used until 1976. Nearby are the Petrified Forest National Park, Navajo Reservation and Canyon de Chelly.