The ruins of Burrishoole Friary are located on the shores of Clew Bay estuary near Newport, County Mayo. It was originally a wooden structure, founded by Richard de Burgo, Chief of the Burke Clan of Turlough, for the Dominican Order in 1469. However, it was built without permission from the Pope, an act that could have resulted in excommunication. It was not recognised by the Vatican until 1486.
It was abandoned in 1698 and allowed to fall into ruin. All that survives is the nave and chancel church with a crossing tower and south chapel, along with the eastern wall of the cloister. The grounds of the friary are still in use as a cemetery.