Singleton Park was the result of the purchase of some 12 farms by the great industrialist and copper smelters, the Vivian family during the 1850's The park was then purchased by Swansea Borough Council in 1919 for use as a public park. Within the original extensive grounds are Singleton Hospital, Swansea University and the extensive botanical gardens. Here we are at the main gardens amongst the rock garden and alpine plants. The wooden benches having been donated by families, partners or friends in memory of regular park and garden visitors. At one end of the main garden is an area of various vegetables. The water-fountain within the gardens, dated 1773 was gifted to Swansea by Mr. Sidney Heath a successful local business man, it originally stood in the Castle Gardens prior to the modernisation of the gardens from trees, grass and flower beds to concrete and skateboards. Behind the main flowered area are lawns and trees and where squirrels can be fed peanuts by hand.
Wales (Cymru in the Welsh language) is part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The major cities are Cardiff, Swansea, Newport and Bangor. The city of St. Davids is the smallest city in the UK with a population around 2000. Wales itself has a population of around 3 million. The Welsh language is spoken by around 20% of the population.