After the flooding the old marketplace was replaced by the wide Széchenyi tér edged with plane trees. Statues of the nation's heroes and important citizens of the town line the paths of the park-like square. To the south of the square a monument commemorates the great reformist István Széchenyi. The allegorical figures around the pond in the middle of the square symbolize both the life-giving and destructive properties of the River Tisza. The yellow painted Town Hall crowned with a central tower was built in 1883 to plans by Ödön Lechner and Gyula Pártos. The founder of Hungarian art nouveau made use of Neo-Baroque forms in which the two-dimensional rather than three-dimensional conception of the façade was suggestive of the new architectural style. A narrow thoroughfare on the first floor similar to the Bridge of Sighs in Venice links the town hall with the neighboring buildings.