The Basilica Notre-Dame of Geneva is the main Roman Catholic church in Geneva, Switzerland, the old St. Pierre Cathedral being now a Protestant church. The statue of Our Lady of Geneva, offered by the Pope Pius IX, is venerated. It is also a stopover for pilgrims going to Santiago de Compostela. The basilica marks somehow the beginning of the Via Gebennensis, which extends from Le Puy-en-Velay Via Podiensis.
The church was built according to the design of Alexandre Grigny between 1852 and 1857 on the site of a former stronghold fortifications. This neo-Gothic building, whose appearance is partly inspired by the , could break ground thanks to the city of Geneva, which had ceded land to religious communities to be build places of worship, and through donations and manual labor provided by the Geneva Catholics. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_of_Our_Lady_of_Geneva)