With the removal of the earth fortifications, a new period in the development of Riga set in, offering great opportunities to beautify the city. The Riga ramparts were destroyed and in their place an area of official buildings, boulevards and green spaces was established from 1857 to 1863 in a semicircle embracing Old Riga.
Find out more in multimedia virtual tour of Old Riga at www.virtuallatvia.lv
Originated from a small fishermen village, for centuries Riga has been an important part of the trade chain between Russia and Western Europe. A lively crossroad of cultures and backgrounds for over 800 years, the historical centre of Riga has accumulated an impressive cultural baggage and today is justly included in the UNESCO’s World Heritage list.