Książnica Beskidzka (The Beskidian Library) is the municipial public library of Bielsko-Biała. It has many 17 branches in the area of the whole city and its head office is located just here, at Słowackiego Street.
Opposite it, there is a beatiful neo-renaissance building, which was erected in 1873-1883 by an architect from Biała, Emanuel Rost. In its history, it has housed a secondary school, a liberal arts college, an industrial school and (in the interwar period, when Bielsko became Polish again) a German high school. Just after World War II, when Germans were displaced from the city, it was a polish industrial school and since 1950 a technical secondary school, a lifelong learning center and a vocational school. Since 1997 it's the Mechanical, Electrical and Electronical School Complex, including a few educational institutions for young and adult people.