The town of Cashel (Caiseal Mumhan) is located in County Tipperary in the Golden Vale. It is most famous for the Rock of Cashel aka St. Patrick’s Rock or Cashel of the Kings. Before the Norman invasion the rock was the seat of the Kings of Munster. In 1101 the fortress was donated to the church. Most of the buildings date from the 12th and 13th century. The round tower was probably built at the end of the 10th century. It is 28 m high. The cathedral was built between 1235 and 1270 and it was destroyed by the Anglican Archbishop of Cashel – he had the roof removed in 1749.