The Naval Church in Pula (German: Marinekirche, Italian: Chiesa della Marina; today the Church of Our Lady of the Sea) was built on the hill of St. Polycarp in Pula at the end of the 19th century. Specifically, construction began in 1891, and the church was completed in 1898. The style of construction is a mixture of neo-Byzantineism and neo-romanticism, and three architects left their mark on the church: Friedrich von Schmidt, Victor Lunz and Natale Tommasi. The latter was from the vicinity of Trent and in 1890 he designed the building of the State German Gymnasium in Pula (today the Archaeological Museum of Istria) and the parish church of Sv. Agnes in Medulin.
Istria (Croatian, Slovene: Istra; Italian: Istria; Istriot: Eîstria), formerly Histria (Latin), is the largest peninsula in the Adriatic Sea. The peninsula is located at the head of the Adriatic between the Gulf of Trieste and the Bay of Kvarner. It is shared by three countries: Croatia, Slovenia and Italy.