Panorama on the edge of the Rock Garden in the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh. The Gardens were established in 1670 to grow medicinal plants. Originally located near Holyrood Palace near the centre of Edinburgh, the gardens were later moved to the outskirts of the city, and were moved to their current location at Inverleith in 1820.
The Gardens are currently used for the scientific study of plants and preservation of a large variety of different species. The large number of different plants and the carefully kept gardens and greenhouses also makes the gardens a popular attraction for both locals and tourists.