Today, a romantic spot to stroll in, the Ile Rousseau nevertheless experienced an agitated past.
Surrounded by walls at the end of the 16th century, it served as a bastion for the city. In 1628, it was transformed into a shipyard and carried the name "Island of the Boats".
It was only in 1832, with the construction of the Bergues bridge which was linked to the island by a footbridge, that it would take on the name of the great Genevan philosopher, Jean- Jacques Rousseau.
Transformed into a public garden, with a statue of this great man sculpted by the Genevan Pierre Pradier, a pavilion, now converted into a restaurant, was added in 1921. See http://www.geneve-tourisme.ch/?rubrique=0000000171&lang=_eng
See also http://insurance.essentialtravel.co.uk/tg-europe/switzerland/geneva-key-attractions.asp