The old hydro-electric power-plant of Rheinfelden was located 1.5 km up the river Rhine from the City center of Rheinfelden. It started operation in 1898 with an electric power of 10MW. Thus it was the oldest of the major hydroelectric power-plants in Europe located along a riverside. And after the demolition of the Adams Powerhouse No. 1 in Niagara Falls/USA in 1961, it was even the oldest large hydroelectric power-plant world-wide. Nonetheless it was completely demolished in what quite a few people see as an act of purist barbarism by the local authorities.