Since the early 13th century a bridge crosses the river Brenta here. After several renewals the todays construction of the famous architect Palladio (Andrea di Pietro della Gondola) dates back to 1569. Destroyed in World War II, the bridge hab been renewed by the Italian mountain infantry (Alpini). To honour them it is also called "Ponte degli Alpini". In 2017 the bridge is extensively renovated.