After an earthquake in 1693 Noto was rebuilt about 6km away. From 1694 onwards, this included the new cathedral, whose baroque façade was completed in 1770. 200 years later, the building became dilapidated. Heavy rainfall in March 1996 led to the collapse of the dome and roof. Four years later, reconstruction could be started, which lasted until 2007. In 2009, the Russian artist Oleg Supereco began painting the frescoes, which were inaugurated with a ceremony in 2011. Since 2002, Noto and the towns of Val di Noto have been included in the UNESCO World Heritage list.